A step-by-step guide on converting a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA
How to do a Roth conversion with Alto
Once you have both a traditional (non-crypto) IRA and a Roth IRA open, you can follow the steps below to submit your request
Interested in converting your traditional IRA to a Roth IRA? Simply follow these steps:
- Create your traditional IRA.
Note: Make sure this is created as an Alto IRA, even if you want to invest in crypto with the converted/backdoor Roth.
- When you get to the "Start the Transfer" page, be sure to select “Make a cash contribution from a bank account.”
- You'll be prompted to add a credit card, but no worries—simply skip this step.
- Create a Roth IRA with Alto here.
- Pick the account type based on what you'd like to invest in—whether it's an Alto IRA or CryptoIRA.
- When you get to the "Start the Transfer" page, simply stop the account setup process and continue onto the next step below.
- Log back in to your traditional IRA and select Transfer Funds from the top of your dashboard
- Select Roth Conversion from the drop-down menu
- Select Review & Sign
- Please complete the required fields on the form including tax withholding to submit your request.
- Once the document has been signed and submitted, the funds should be transferred within 1-2 business days.
Note: Once you have both of the IRAs created and have requested a cash contribution for the traditional IRA, it can take up to 10 business days to complete the full conversion.
If you have any questions, please reach out to us:
- Phone: 877-673-1557
- Email: email@example.com
- Contact Us Form