A step-by-step walkthrough to help you transfer securities from another Self-Directed IRA Custodian into to your Alto IRA.
IN THIS ARTICLE:
Keep in Mind: We can only accept securities into your Alto IRA if they are non-registered securities and are currently held in a retirement account.
To initiate a security transfer in your Alto dashboard, you'll need the following information/items:
- Account number for the transferring account
- Information regarding the securities that you'd like to transfer (security type, security name, security class, security amount, security valuation, issuer's name, and issuer's contact information)
- A PDF version of your most recent account statement of the transferring account
- Access to a printer for a wet signature
- A medallion stamp
Initiate a Security Transfer in Your Alto Dashboard
- Log into your Alto account and select Transfer Securities from the I Want To dropdown menu
- Are your securities being held by a custodian?
Select Yes and click Next
- Which custodian are you transferring securities from?
Select the name of your transferring custodian and click Next
What is your account number at the transferring custodian?
Fill in the account number and click Next
- What type of account are the securities in?
Select the type of retirement account and click Next
- Please list all the securities that are coming from this custodian
Fill in the security name, security type, security class, security amount, security valuation, issuer's name, issuer's contact information and click Next
*If you have more than one security, then click Add Another Security, fill in the security information and click Next
- Are your securities being held by a custodian?
- Review & E-Sign
- Review the information and make sure it's correct
- Scroll down to the Signature Required box and click on the Direction to Transfer link
*A new window will pop up with the Direction to Transfer. You can close that window and return to the Review & E-Sign screen once you've read the document.
- Back on the Review& E-Sign screen, type in your name exactly as indicated in the quotation marks below the signature box
- Click Start Transfer
- Complete the Paperwork
- Click Review & Sign under the Transfer of Assets Request section
- Click Ok when the This is not legally binding message pops up
- Click the blue Get Started button at the top right of the HelloSign form
- Click the Click to Sign field, create your signature, and click Insert
- Click the blue Continue button at the top right of the HelloSign form, then click I Agree when it pops up
- Click Close when the Thanks for submitting your document! message appears
- When you're back to the Complete the Paperwork page, add an account statement by clicking the Upload button under Statement Summary section
- Select the PDF file of your most recent account statement of your transferring account and click Open
- Once you have a check mark under Transfer of Assets Request and Statement Summary sections, click Save & Continue at the bottom
- Medallion Signature Required
- Click the Print button to print your Transfer of Assets form
- Follow instructions on that screen to acquire a medallion stamp
- Once you've received a medallion stamp and have applied a wet signature on the form, return to your Alto dashboard and click Continue in the You have not completed the Asset Transfer process section
- Upload your form with the medallion stamp and your wet signature
- Click Submit and you're done!
Note: Our team will fax your security transfer request to your transferring custodian. Your transferring custodian will then transfer custody of those securities over to your IRA at Alto.
Reregister Your Securities
Before we can accept the securities into your Alto IRA and mark this transfer as complete, we'll need to receive confirmation from the issuers of your securities that the securities have been re-registered to your Alto IRA. Please reach out to the issuers of your securities to work with them to reregister those securities to your Alto IRA account. Securities should be reregistered to "AltoIRA Custodian FBO first name last name Traditional/Roth/SEP IRA"
The updated paperwork can be faxed to us at 855-283-4470, emailed to us at email@example.com, or mailed to us at the address below:
Alto Solutions, Inc.
500 11th Ave N. Suite 790
Nashville, TN 37203
Tip: You are generally responsible for re-registering your securities. However, if you need some help re-registering them with your issuer(s), then you can reach out to our support team via the Contact Us form to reach one of our Client Experience Advocates!
Security Transfer Timeline
This process could take a few weeks depending on how quickly the transferring custodian recognizes AltoIRA as the successor custodian. Keep in mind once this step is complete, Alto still needs to receive paperwork verifying the security(s) have been re-registered to your AltoIRA entity.
Cancel a Security Transfer
If you haven't completed the initiation process in your Alto dashboard, then please contact our support team to cancel the security transfer If you've received confirmation from our team that the transfer request has been sent to your transferring custodian, then please contact your transferring custodian to cancel the request on their end.
Make Changes to Your Security Transfer
If you need to make any corrections to your security transfer after you've completed the initiation process in your Alto account, then please reach out to our support team with the changes you wish to make.
Do you have more questions or need additional help with funding your Alto IRA with a security transfer? Feel free to send us a note to firstname.lastname@example.org or use our Contact Us form to reach one of our Client Experience Advocates!